A very rare 17th-century farmhouse sharing an entrance hall and featuring imposing stone archways leading to beautifully south facing large garden ( 80ft x 88ft -- tlett sieghan u nofs) with mature olive and palm trees and a superb swimming pool (12m x 13.5m). The surrounding patios (over 100m) with a built-in shower and BBQ area enjoy great views of the impressive Citadel and the formidable bastions, particularly at night.
Accommodation comprises a wide hall, a large room presently used as a games room, a spacious arched mill room with fitted kitchen/breakfast, a master bedroom with ensuite bathroom, main bathroom with bidet and a box room under the stairway.
A traditional, wide stone staircase leads up to an airy wraparound, double wall loggia that opens to three large rooms, two ensuite bathrooms and a large open terrace overlooking pastoral Gelmus hill and beyond. An outside stairway with ferrabattuto railings leads down to the pool area and garden.
There are five artesian wells, three of which are interconnected to each other with tunnels dating back to the Knights of St.John inside the natural rock. An automatic pump supplies most of the water to two reservoirs on the roof.
Great location within walking distance to all basic amenities including bus terminus, Citadel, restaurants, etc.
For further information or price, please contact
Ted M.Mizzi by email: email@example.com or call 79562384
THE CITADEL, GOZO
The Old Citadel (also called the Citadella or Kastell) rises dramatically above ir-Rabat. Built at a perfect strategic vantage point, it defiantly dominates the skyline exactly as intended by the military architects who built it. A visit to the Citadel should not be missed. The Citadel has been at the centre of activity on the island since possibly Neolithic times, and was certainly fortified during the Bronze Age around 1500 BC. It was later developed by the Phoenicians and in Roman times, it was a complex Acropolis.
Gozo was a privileged Roman Municipality, independent of Malta and the Citadel was the centre of its administrative as well as its military and religious life, an important temple to the goddess Juno stood where the Cathedral now stands. The north side of the Citadel dates back to the period of the Aragonese, while the south flank, overlooking Ir-Rabat (Victoria), was re-constructed under the Knights of St. John between 1599 and 1603. This rebuilding came towards the end of Gozo’s darkest period, when for two centuries, marauding Turks and Berber corsairs had harassed and pillaged the Maltese Islands. For this reason, until 1637, the entire population of Gozo was required by law to spend the night within the Citadel for their own safety. The climax of the Turkish raids on Gozo came in 1551. A strong Ottoman naval force, after an unsuccessful attack on Malta, turned its attention to the less well protected Gozo. After a short siege the crumbling medieval walls of the Citadel were overwhelmed and the defenders begged for an honourable capitulation. Tragically for the population, (then numbering around 5000), the surrender terms were far from honourable. With the exception of just 40 elderly and disabled citizens, the entire population of Gozo was chained and taken into slavery. It took nearly 50 years to re-populate the island and rebuild the Citadel in its present layout.
(Quoted from VisitGozo.com -